Hi! My name is Elena, I am a Certified Gentle Sleep Coach®. I have completed Kim West’s Gentle Sleep Coach programme, the most extensive and professional sleep certification programme available in the world. I use gentle sleep solutions to help babies, children and families get the sleep that they need.
As a mother, I fully understand the troubles that sleep deprivation can cause. My son had difficulty sleeping for a long time. This had a big impact on my family. We tried everything to help him sleep but nothing seemed to be working. However, we found our way out of this with the help of a gentle sleep coach. This experience gave me the tools and confidence to help my son sleep well. The outcome was so great for us that it gave me the desire to become a Gentle Sleep Coach, so that I could help others get a good night’s sleep.
I love what I do and I take pleasure in meeting families and helping them improve the quality of their sleep and their lives in general. The skills that I have learnt are a gift that I love sharing with others. I work with families to help find sleep solutions by creating customised plans that respect family values, parenting philosophies and the needs of each child. I support families throughout the process so that they can reach the sleep goals that they wish to achieve.
My Training Summary
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coach training and certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training with a faculty panel that includes 2 medical doctors, a psychologist, an attorney, lactation counselor, postpartum doulas and a family therapist. Each coach must pass an exam and participate in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C, The Sleep Lady®, who has been helping tired parents for over 20 years. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counseling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques to help parents
of children age 0 to 6 years old.
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr.Shoshana Bennett, the
author and a leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by
Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- GERD and Sleep led by Dr. Anthony Loizides, the pediatric gastroenterologist
Currently undertaking advanced training since September 2019
0-5 Month Old Certification
Some of the curriculum training topics include:
- In-depth knowledge of the importance of attachment and infant mental health
- The sleep science behind the first six months of life
- What special considerations need to be taken when working with and supporting families during this delicate period.
- Specialized instruction on how to evaluate families in the first six months
- Guidance on how to assess when the baby is ready for sleep coaching based on current research and evidence-based strategies
- Review of gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are developmentally appropriate, breastfeeding and attachment friendly and promote a solid foundation for sleep learning and long-term healthy sleep patterns.
This specialty training is designed to give Gentle Sleep Coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of newborns through 5 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.
Many parents ask “Are you a cry-it-out proponent or family bed advocate? Do I have to stop breastfeeding to sleep coach my child?”
There is no right or wrong. It’s about what is working for you and your family.
Completed certified training:
- Safe Sleeping for Babies – Reducing the risk of SIDS
- The Connected Baby Series : Understanding Attachment
- The Connected Baby Series: Motorways in the Brain – The Processes of Neural Development
The training consisted of information and scientific research from top specialists, including:
- Dr Suzanne Zeedyk
- John Bowlby
- Mary Ainsworth
How do I help?
I believe that there is no “one size fits all”. I do much more than simply fit a family and child into a formula. By educating parents on what is age-appropriate and realistic, together we create a plan based on a gentle approach.
What makes me different?
- I offer an alternative to the “cry-it-out” method. I offer a guilt-free, gentle approach
- I respect and support your parenting philosophy
- I am committed to working with your family in a way you feel most comfortable
- I help to create a sleep plan for your family that you feel good about and one in which you can most consistently implement
- My goal is to have as little crying as possible
- I encourage parents to be loving and responsive but to allow the child room to learn the important skill of putting themselves to sleep
My expert guidance and support gets you and your family where you need to be: Enjoying restful sleep!